Nitish Kumar has done tremendous work in the last 1 year to make the 350th Gurpurab celebrations as memorable as possible. One wonders what caused him to go over and beyond for a minority population which is so small in Bihar that it doesn’t even make any difference in elections. One thing is clear and that is that he did not do it for political mileage but with complete sincerness and devotion to the Sikh faith.
He did many wonderful things for to make the 350th Gurpurab celebrations as memorable and enjoyable as possible. We came up with ten of the most amazing things without any particular order.
1. Nitish Kumar was the only politician to stay for bhog and listened to Kirtan for 2 Hours.
2. Humbleness of Nitish Kumar
During his speech at the 350th Gurpurab celebrations with CM Badal and PM Modi on stage he stated, “My state is very poor, we tried to do the best we could for the Gurpurab celebrations. If we made any mistakes during the celebrations or we didn’t do enough, we’d would like to apologize and ask for forgiveness.” This statement full of humbleness and humility and shows the CM of Bihar did his utmost best for the Sikh sangat. The man deserves a lot of credit and perhaps we can’t every thank him for the honor he’s bestowed on Sikhs and these are the reasons for the worldwide praise he’s received.
3. 8 months of hard work by spreading the word personally from advertising about 350th Parkash Purb by posters and hoardings all over India, on TV channels, newspapers and going to Sri Anandpur sahib to invite Sangat from Punjab.
4. He built tent cities for Sangat which can house 1-Lakh Sangat , to special free ferries, buses, security.
5. 3-day ban on meat shops (liquor is already banned in Bihar), 3-day Public holiday, Nitish Kumar has done immense sewa which no other Chief minister or politician has done in Independent India.
6. In an exhibition organized by the Bihar government and Punjab Digital Library, Nitish Kumar read each and every word of the exhibition.
7. Top Bihar cops were deployed with thousands of security personnel assisting Sikh sangat.
8. World’s top Sikh scholars were invited to sit down together and discuss the events and history of Sri Guru Gobind Singh Sahib Ji, this was revealed at the Sikh Conclave event in October 2016.
9. Nitish Kumar did langar seva for an extended time and not just for photos like other politicians.
10. He put together Bihar’s best advisory team for the Gurpurab celebrations.
What caused so much love for the Sikhs?
Impact from Pakistan Visit:
Nitish Kumar as CM of Bihar visited Pakistan in 2012 and this is where an incident changed thoughts on the historic Sikh shrine in Patna.
The Pakistan Gurdwara Parbandak Committee Head SHam Singh met the Bihar CM Nitish Kumar at Gurdwara Dera Sahib. He walked towards the CM and surprised everyone by touching the feet of CM Nitish Kumar. Nitish Kumar was taken aback and wondered why such a humble gesture.
Nitish Kumar asked why such a humble gesture, he responded by saying, “You are from Patna, the land where our Guru Sri Guru Gobind Singh Sahib Ji was born.”
He added, “it’s as holy as Sri Nankana Sahib for Sikhs, the birthplace of Guru Nanak, the founder of the Sikh religion. You came from my Guru’s birthplace and to do your darshan is an honor for me. I would show the same respect to any ordinary person from the soil where my Guru Gobind Singh Sahib was born”
It was this instance that Nitish Kumar realized that the Gurdwara Sahib in Patna was no ordinary place for Sikhs but one of the most historical and important. He understood that his city was also no ordinary city and it’s pureness will be felt one day when millions come for darshan. Nitish Kumar from that day had decided he needed to transform the entire city and make it the most comfortable place for Sikhs despite Sikhs being less than 1% of the population. It’s one of the most remarkable stories to have come out in recent days about Nitish Kumar.
Nitish Kumar is being praised by Sikhs worldwide for his contribution and seva to make the 350th Gurpurab celebrations the most special ever. Nitish Kumar’s statement during his speech is what has melted Sikhs worldwide.