let’s remember Guru Tegh Bahadur and read 10 facts about him: Via: IndiaToday
1. It is said that as the news of the birth of Tegh Bahadur spread, Guru Hargobind, the 6th guru, himself went to see the child and as soon as he saw him, he predicted “Of my five sons, he shall take the of five of Guru. He shall protect the weak and relieve their distress. This shall be his principal mark.”
2. Guru Tegh Bahadur was born as Tyaga Mal. The name Guru Tegh Bahadur was given to him by Guru Hargobind.
3. Tegh Bahadur was taught by Bhai Buddha who trained him in archery and horsemanship and Bhai Gurdas who taught him old classics.
4. While at Bakala, Guru Tegh Bahadur meditated at the place for about 26 years 9 months 13 days. He spent most of his time meditating.
5. The untimely death of Guru Harkrishan left the Sikhs in a dilemma as to who’d be the next guru of the Sikh religion. There’s a legend regarding how the 9th guru, Guru Tegh Bahadur, was found. The legend says that Baba Makhan Shah Labana, a wealthy trader, had prayed for his life and had promised to gift 500 gold coins to the next guru if he survives. He went around meeting gurus and gifting them 2 gold coins and expecting that the real guru would already have heard his silent promise. Each of them accepted his 2 coins and bid him farewell. It was Guru Tegh Bahadur who reminded him of his promise when he gave him just 2 coins. This is how the 9th guru, Tegh Bahadur, was found.
6. He contributed many hymns to the Guru Granth Sahib including the Saloks, or couplets.
7. His works include 116 shabads, and 15 ragas.
8. His works are included in Adi Granth.
9. Guru Tegh Bahadur is known to have travelled extensively to preach the teachings of Nanak.
10. In the year 1675, Guru Tegh Bahadur was executed in Delhi under the orders of the Mughal Emperor Aurangzeb.