Sikh Council (the representative body for UK’s Gurdwara’s), Federation of Sikh Organisations (FSO) and members of the Sangat gathered in large numbers yesterday, at Southall’s Singh Sabha Gurdwara and were unanimous in their protest against the politically motivated decision taken by a panel of five Jathedars, to pardon the murderer and rapist head of the cult ‘Dera Sirsa’.
Five resolutions passed during the special meeting were;
1. The Sikh nation does not accept the decision to pardon Gurmeet Ram Rahim,
2. Those Jathedars who went against Gurmat and did not consider the well being of the panth when making this decision, should resign with immediate effect,
3. Selection of new Jathedars according to Sikh principles should be commenced,
4. The newly appointed Jathedars need to overturn this wrongful pardon and in future all decisions made should be for the betterment of the Sikh nation and with Sikh values at the core,
5. There have been talks of a sham ‘committee’ being created to look into the matter of Ram Rahim’s pardon – this is unacceptable to the Sikh nation.
FSO Co-ordinators – Loveshinder Singh Dallewal, Kuldip Singh Chaheru and Joga Singh, issued a joint press release stating, “the worldwide Sikh sangat is united in its opposition to this matter, only a handful of hardcore Badal supporters are silent, and their silence can even be interpreted as their opposition to the pardon also”.
As well as the hundreds of Sangat members and Sikh youth representatives, those present at the meeting included; Gurmel Singh Kandola (Sikh Council), Amrik Singh Gill and Dabinderjit Singh (Sikh Federation), Balbir Singh Jathedar (AKJ UK), Seva Singh Lalli (Government of Khalistan in-exile), Nirmal Singh Sandhu (United Khalsa Dal), Charan Singh (Damdami Taksal), Gurdev Singh Chauhan (SAD), Jagvinder Singh (SAD Amritsar), Manmohan Singh (Dal Khalsa), Raghbir Singh (International Panthic Dal), Sukhvinder Singh (International Khalsa Organisation), Satvinder Singh Jagowale, Gurmel Singh Malhi, Harjit Singh Sarpanch, Dr Jasdev Singh Rai, Daljit Singh Sagoo and Harbans Singh Kolhi.