The relics of Guru Gobind Singh Ji Maharaj are being shifted to Takht Sri Keshgarh Sahib in Anandpur but people are wondering how they ended with the Nabha royal family.
If one goes by the entries listed in Bhai Kahan Singh Nabha’s ” Mahaan Kosh“, which is considered as the most authentic encyclopedia of Sikh history, at least four of these relics were handed over by the descendents of Peer Budhu Shah to Maharaja Bharpur Singh during his rule from 1847 to 1863.
The entry claimed that in return of precious gifts and big land holdings, Budhu Shah’s descendents had handed over a turban, a comb with hairs, a 3-inch-long knife and a Hukamnama to Maharaja Bharpur.
The book also revealed that a 300-page manuscript, which is part of the set of relics to be shifted to Takht Kesgarh Sahib, was purchased by the maharaja from a poet named Tara Singh. “Tara Singh told the maharaja that the book had been written by Kalgidhar Patshah (Guru Gobind Singh). Raja Bharpur had purchased it for Rs 2,000 and awarded the poet an annual salary of Rs 200,” reads an entry in the “Mahaan Kosh”. First published in 1930, the encyclopedia also revealed that besides those of the 10th Guru, the Nabha royals also had two relics of the sixth Sikh Guru Hargobind, including a long sword.