Our Delhi Sevadaar (Amaninder Singh) does Street Parchar at India Gate, Delhi. He speaks to locals about Degh Tegh Fateh.
Sikh sacrifices for freedom
Prior to independence Sikhs were less than 1.5% of the population, but their contribution to the freedom struggle was immense:
- 77% of those sent to the gallows were Sikh as were 81% of those sentenced to life imprisonment.
- During the Quit India Movement many indiscriminate arrests were made and Sikhs contributed 70% of the total Punjabis arrested.
- More than 60% of the 20,000 who joined the Indian National Army were Sikhs.
- 100-150 million refugees resulted from partition in August 1947 with 40% of all Sikhs becoming refugees.
- Partition resulted in up to 2 million people being murdered and another 10-50 million being injured.