Gurdwara Sri Guru Singh Sabha was established in the city of Hong Kong in 1901 for the rising Sikh residents in the then British territory.
Sikhs were employed in very large numbers in the British armed forces and were stationed in Hong Kong and served overwhelmingly with in the police of the City.
The Gurdwara served as a major resting and recuperating point for the thousands of Punjabis who were immigrating from India to Canada by ship during the early 1900s. Alone in the years between 1904 and 1908 an estimated 5,000 Punjabis resided at the Gurdwara Sahib on their way to British Columbia.
The Hong Kong office for immigration was the only one which gave clearance to proceed to Canada after medical exams, documents, and interviews.
The Gurdwara Sahib was crucial for the travelling Punjabis as it not only provided food and lodging but financial help, medical treatment, and arrangements to further proceed in the journey.
However, during World War 2, during the Japanese occupation a missile was thrown on the Gurdwara Sahib.
The entire building was damaged but repaired immediately. The original building was much smaller then the existing one. Now, the Gurdwara Sahib is recognized as a heritage site in Hong Kong.