Bhai Satnam Singh became a victim of an hit and run incident on Coronation Street, Pear Tree by the junction with Princes street in Derby, UK and his body was discovered at 5:20am yesterday morning.

Police sealed off the area once he was taken to the hospital where he was pronounced dead later in the day.

The Derby Telegraph reported:

A police spokesman said: “An elderly man found injured in a Derby street may have been hit by a car which did not stop. Detectives are now trying to trace a dark hatchback car which was seen in the area early this morning.”

Detectives and scenes-of-crimes officers combed the streets and a cordon originally put in place after the incident was reported was extended throughout the morning.

Ajit Singh is the treasurer of the Siri Guru Singh Sabha Gurdwara, in Princes Street, where the man who died was a worshipper.

He said: “We prayed yesterday morning and will pray again today.

“After the funeral there will be a big parade in his honour.

“He was a committee member who came to the temple every day at 4.45am and was a big charity man who would cook for the worshippers at weekends. It is a very bad and sad situation.”

Amrik Sehmbi, 56, owns Sehmbi’s Motorsport on the corner of Harrington Street and Princes Street.

He said: “I was talking to a woman who said that the man was her father-in-law. She was crying, she was understandably very upset, it is very sad news.”

A resident in Coronation Street, who did not wish to give her name, said: “I did not hear anything but I looked out of the window at around 6am and there were police cars outside and they were putting tape up.

“There was a pool of blood in the street and I think two cars had crashed.”

Workers at Pear Tree Small Business Centre, in Princes Street, were unable to get into work due to the police cordon.

And motorists who cut through Pear Tree Crescent to get to work at units in Shaftesbury Street were diverted using another route.

At the scene, Detective Constable Nicola Ward was apologising to a group of people who were unable to get to their places of work beyond the cordon.

She told them: “I am sorry, it is my fault, but there has been a serious incident.”

Andrew Pritchard, 29, of Normanton, was one of the workers.

He said: “I walked down to come to work and came across the police cordon.

“It is frustrating because I cannot get to work but I suppose when the police are investigating a serious incident things like this are out of your control.”

Anyone with information should call police on 101, quoting incident number 68 of July 23.

Alternatively, people can report information anonymously to Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.