Relics of the tenth Sikh Guru, Sri Guru Gobind Singh Ji Maharaj will finally come back to Sri Anandpur Sahib after over 300 years. The relics include three swords, a cloak, a gutka signed by Guru Gobind Singh, a robe, a turban and a comb with hair. The historic relics will be kept along with other weapons of Guru Ji.
After a long battle, the Punjab government finally decided to move the relics from Qila Mubarak in Patiala to Takht Sri Keshgarh Sahib.
A procession will start from May 6 to move the relics from the Qila inside a special bus by the SGPC. The SGPC has made all arrangements to move the relics according to Sikh maryada.
The relics were under the possession of the Nabha royal family but after intervention by the Punjab and Haryana high court the relics were moved to the Qila Mubarak in 2009.
The royal family handed over relics of Guru Tegh Bahadur Sahib ji last week which were shifter to Qila Mubara.
As per the encyclopaedia of Sikhism written by Kahan Singh Nabha, four of the relics of Guru Gobind Singh were handed over to then Maharaja of Nabha Bharpur Singh by the descendants of Pir Budhu Shah, a Muslim and an admirer of Guru Gobind Singh, during his rule from 1847 to 1863.
The relics were put on display at Hira Mahal for over 240 years, and were later taken to New Delhi by the descendants of the Nabha state. It was only after a court order that the relics were brought back and were placed in Patiala.
In December 2013, a high court division bench had directed the state to identify two gurdwaras in Nabha to display the relics. However, instead of shifting these relics back to Nabha, the government intends to hand these over to the SGPC.