Via Sikh Council UK
New Year Honours List 2015
Sikh Council UK welcomes that the New Year’s Honours List for 2015 has recognised the achievement and dedicated service of a number of Sikhs.
Amongst the honours awarded are a number of individuals who have between them many decades of dedicated service, who have excelled in their fields whilst creating a legacy for the community and who have done all this whilst staying true to their Sikhi identity.
Nationally known figures who have been awarded include:
• Bhai Sahib Mohinder Singh Ji – principal of Guru Nanak Nishkam Sewak Jatha awarded an OBE for services to interfaith and community cohesion
• Gurmel Singh – Chief Executive of National Sikh Museum, Derby awarded a MBE for services to the community
• Bhai Fauja Singh – marathon runner extraordinaire awarded a British Empire Medal for services to sport and charity
Other Sikhs awarded include:
• Surat Singh Sangha – Managing Director of Asiana Ltd awarded an OBE for services to entrepreneurship
• Surinder Kaur Ghura – awarded a MBE for services to interfaith understanding and to the community in Newcastle Upon Tyne
• Surinder Pal Singh Khurana – awarded an MBE for services to the community in North East Lincolnshire
Sikh Council UK (SCUK) is also pleased to see that Ravinder Singh, Chief Executive of Khalsa Aid, on 29th December was recognised as ‘Sikh of the Year 2014’ for raising the Sikh profile on a global level by Social Educational Welfare Association in association with International Fateh Academy Amritsar. Ravinder Singh was presented with his award by five Singh Sahib at an award ceremony held in Amritsar.
Sikh Council UK is proud to acknowledge the achievements of Sikhs in every field and across the country and are pleased that Sikhs are being honoured by the state. We also know that there are so many others who give dedicated service to the community without expectation of any honour – truly the spirit of selfless sewa.
Gurmel Singh also serves as Secretary General of the Sikh Council UK.