United Kingdom has some of the most Chardi Kala Sikhs. They have collectively made Sikhs worldwide proud because of their immense contributions in the country.
We have assembled a list of ten things which you must know and learn from the Sikhs from UK to make your local Sikh community stronger.
1) Most organized Sikh community. They have extremely intelligent and well educated people leading their most important organizations.
2) English Speaking Sikh Parcharaks. They were the first in the World to have English speaking Sikhs who spread Sikh awareness outside Gurdwaras
3) Most Sikh TV Channels. Yes, Sikhs in the UK are the only ones outside India to have Sikh TV Channels. Sikhs in other countries have Punjabi Tv Channels while Sikhs in UK have Sikh based channels; Sikh Channel, Akaal TV, and Sangat Television
4) Most Sikh Charities. They have the most active Sikh charities out of any other country in the world outside India. Some of the most active are Khalsa Aid, Seva84, Everythings13 Basics of Sikhi, SOPW, Midlands Langar Seva Society, S.W.A.T, Guru Nanak’s Free Kitchen, and Nishkam Seva.
5) Preservation of Sikh History. Sikhs in the UK have done tremendous work to preserve many important aspects of Sikh history.
A gupt Sikh private collector has millions of dollars worth of very rare Sikh artifacts. There are Sikh museums and exhibits, GT1588 have released various books on Sikh history, and the many scholars in the UK have released very influential books.
6) Spreading Guru Nanak’s message of equality on the street. There over five Sikh groups which feed the homeless on the streets on a daily basis.
7) Most politically active Sikh community overseas.
They recently released the Sikh Manifesto which targets 50 key seats of the UK Parliament.
Also, they have 2 Sikhs in the House of Lords and now 165 elected MPs support the Sikh Manifesto.
8) Active Sikh Youth. Currently, the UK and Canada have the most active Sikh youth. They numbers are rising on year over year basis of those who’ve come back to Sikhi. The progress can be seen in the number of Sikh youth groups that are rising from these countries. The Rajoana movement few years ago has made the most Punjabis come back to Sikhi
9) Unity for common cause.
They answer the call when it’s time. Sikhs in the UK are active in getting the government to hear their voice. When news came of Prof. Bhullar possible be hanged, they were quick to organize a protest outside the PM’s home at 10 Downing Street. This particular campaign lasted for over 2 months in cold winter days where the Sikhs. They also have organized some of the biggest rallies for the Justice 1984 campaigns.
10) Most nationally recognized Sikhs.
Earlier in the year, 5 Sikhs were chosen for national awards by the British Government. In the past, there have been many Sikhs to receive national government honors. One of the most prominent Sikhs in the history of the UK Bhai Sahib Bhai Mohinder Singh Ji received a MBE award from Prince Charles.
11) UK Sikhs have 12 Government funded Sikh Faith/Ethos schools, which tops all countries outside India.
12) UK Sikhs became the first Sikh community in the world to have the first ever press association called The Sikh Press Association